Helko Traditional Rheinland Pack Axe (Germany)
Handmade in Germany
The Rheinland pattern - a traditional German wide-bit blade - is exceptionally well suited for cutting work. Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany, these axes are named after the region’s famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein was a historically significant source of trade and growth for settlements in the region throughout the medieval period, and cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for people carving out towns and villages in heavily forested regions along the river.
The Rheinland Pack Axe is lightweight, compact, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness. Comfortable to use one or two handed, this pack axe will excel at making kindling, limbing branches, building your shelter, and other light splitting and cutting work.
- Head Weight: 1 ½ lbs.
- Total Weight: 2 ¼ lbs.
- Bit Length: 4 ⅛ in.
- Handle Length: 20 in.
- Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
- Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge