Helko Classic Scout Axe
Handmade in Germany
The Scout is the smallest conventionally sized axe in the Classic line, and light enough for almost any user to handle comfortably. Slightly too big to carry along on weight-conscious backpacking trips, the Scout is better used as a base camp axe, or for longer excursions where it can be stowed in a canoe, raft, or vehicle. Axes of this class are commonly referred to as “boy’s axes” due to their small size, but don’t let the designation fool you. The Scout is a great starter axe that often becomes a favorite among seasoned axe users. It is ideal for light cutting work and felling small trees. The head is buffed and polished to a highly reflective finish that reduces cutting friction and improves rust resistance.
- Head Weight: 2 ¼ lbs.
- Total Weight: 3 ½ lbs.
- Bit Length: 3 ¾ in.
- Handle Length: 28 in.
- Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
- Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge