Kershaw Al Mar AM-3 Folding Knife
Timeless Al Mar Knives designs meet Kershaw’s precision manufacturing and meticulous fit and finish to bring you updated versions of some of the most iconic Al Mar Knives.
The AM-3 features SpeedSafe assisted opening for quick and simple one-handed opening. Just pull back on the flipper or push on the thumb stud. The blade is quality 8Cr13MoV stainless steel with a handsome satin finish and a top swedge. The front handle scale is G-10—crowned and polished for a smooth feel and classy look. The back is pure steel with a sturdy frame lock to keep the blade in position until you release it. The AM-3 also features a deep-carry pocket clip with Al Mar Knives' red logo emblem and — for an extra measure of visual interest — they used red standoffs.
In addition to a dedication to the original designs, Kershaw kept two things in mind when creating these exciting Al Mar Knives: quality and value. Kershaw is using top-notch materials including top-of-the-line blade steel and real G10 scales. Plus, they’re paying special attention to details. Yet they’re keeping the prices down on these classic knives — which means these brilliant Al Mar Knives are now readily available to a new generation of knife enthusiasts.
- Flipper - The "flipper" is a protrusion on the back of the blade that the user can pull back on, or flip, in order to move the blade easily out of the handle.
- SpeedSafe - Assists you to open any SpeedSafe knife quickly and easily with a manual push on the thumb stud or pull back on the flipper, built into many Kershaw best sellers.
- Frame Lock - A portion of the handle (the knife frame) moves behind the blade to lock it into position during use. This is a safety feature of the knife.
- Single Position - The pocket clip is in a fixed position on the knife handle; usually it is positioned for tip-down, right-handed carry, though this may vary.
- Blade Length: 3.125" (7.9 cm)
- Handle Length: 3.75" (9.5 cm)
- Overall Length: 6.875" (17.5 cm)
- Blade Steel: 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel
- Blade Shape: Spear Point
- Blade Finish: Satin
- Handle Material: Contoured Polished G10 with Black-Oxide Stainless Steel Lock
- Locking Mechanism: Frame Lock
- Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Right Deep Carry
- Weight: 2.3 oz. (65.2 g)
- Designer: Al Mar
I really like the weight of this knife in my pocket if I’m carrying it around all day long, It don’t pull down my elastic waist band shorts on hot days as heavier weighted knifes have done to me in the past The knife has kept its edge after breaking down & cutting open many boxes.
After applying one drop of oil it opens very quickly and locks up with the liner lock everytime. The liner lock works great & I feel safe using it
It’s just a wee bit small for my hands but it more than gets my tasks done with ease, with no blade play, it’s a classy little EDC gentleman’s knife that works great for cutting up fruit too. I would buy this knife again.
Fit and finish are excellent, no play in the lock-up, assisted opener pops the blade out with authority, the edge came screaming sharp out of box, and the deep-carry pocket clip strikes the perfect balance of retention and ease of retrieval.
Only negatives are that the thumb studs are poorly positioned (the flipper is the canonical way to open this knife) and the handle scales are slippery in the hand. When Kershaw says "polished G-10" they mean POLISHED. I really hope they leave a bit more texture in future iterations.
Overall, if the knife appeals to you as a gentleman's or everyday carry knife, BUY IT. For the price it's an amazing addition to the collection.