Helko Traditional Hinterland Double Bit Axe
Handmade in Germany
The American inspired Hinterland Double Bit is a capable, highly effective felling tool, suited for large timber. If inclined, the user is able to profile each blade differently and may use, for instance, one edge for splitting and the other for cutting. Traditionally, one bit was used for heavy work that was prone to dull the blade, while the other was kept with a finely honed edge. When the logging industry was still reliant on axes for felling trees, one side of the double bit was commonly used to chop undercuts for large timber, while the other was held in reserve for fine cutting. The head is buffed and polished to a highly reflective finish that reduces cutting friction and improves rust resistance.
- Head Weight: 3 ½ lbs.
- Total Weight: 4 ¾ lbs.
- Bit Length: 4 ½ in.
- Handle Length: 30 in.
- Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
- Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
-Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge
- 1 oz. bottle of Axe Guard protective oil