Helko Werk Germany Traditional Rheinland Pack Axe
Helko Werk Traditional Rheinland Pack Axe
Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany, these axes are named after the region’s famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein, one of Germany's most prominent geographical features, was a historically significant source of trade and growth for settlements in the region throughout the medieval period. Cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for people carving out towns and villages in heavily forested regions along the Rhein River. The Rheinland pattern - a traditional German wide-bit blade - is extraordinarily well suited for cutting work. A cross between a hatchet and a conventional axe, the Rheinland Pack Axe is designed to be lightweight, compact, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness. The weight and length allow for either one or two handed use. Compact in size, this pack axe is a highly versatile packing tool and will fit well on most packs. It will capably handle a variety of tasks, including felling small trees, clearing brush, limbing branches, splitting firewood, and making kindling. It is a perfect all-purpose companion for the backpacker, camper, or woodsman.
Each piece is hand crafted by Helko’s Master Smiths, lifelong artisans of metalcraft. The Smith uses tongs on an open face drop forge to shape the head, a skill requiring impressive control and hand eye coordination that can only be achieved through years of practice. Once satisfied with his work, the Smith hammers the Helko Werk crown logo into the cheek. Only minimal supplementary work is performed, allowing each blade to proudly display its forging marks. No two pieces are exactly alike.
- Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany
- German C50 high grade carbon steel
- Open face drop forged, heat treated, and oil-hardened
- Helko crown hammered into cheek
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Head Weight: 1.5 lb / Length: 19 in. / Total Weight: 2 lb
- Crafted in Switzerland
- Sustainably sourced Grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for strength, grain orientation, and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and notched steel ring wedge
- 1 oz. bottle of Axe-Guard protective oil
- Vegetable tanned Leather Sheath
- Length: 19 in.
- Head Weight: 1.5 lbs.
- Total Weight: 2.5 lbs.