The Hults Bruk Kisa is medium sized felling axe.
This item has an axe head weight of 1.75 Lbs and a handle length of 26 inches.
- The axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the hand grinding production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- The curved hickory handle is treated with linseed oil.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. (Replacement sheaths are available) The axe is shipped in its own storage box and comes with a detailed users manual.
Overall Weight: 2 6/7 lbs.
Head Weight: 1 3/4 lbs.
Handle Length: 26"
Head: Solid Swedish steel
Handle: Solid American Hickory
Just got this axe, can already feel the craftsmanship and skill that went into making this axe. Real leather sheath that has a welt in it to protect it from the rivets. Cannot wait to take it into the woods and test it out soon. Will update this review on the axe after i get a chance to take it into the woods.
Brilliantly made axe. On pair with my Gransfors Bruks axes. This has become my primary axe for bushcraft and Winter camping. I didn't have any of the handle fitment issues others have had.
Firstly; let me just say that I own many-various Hultafors (Hults Bruk) axes & knives. Every piece I've acquired & used, I have been very pleased with. I use 'em hard and maintain 'em well! Each and every piece takes an edge easily & holds it's well. Even their patinas exceed optimistic expectations!
So; if you're one of those people who think that Gransfors Bruk is the end-all / be-all in axe & tool craft, you owe it to yourself to take the measure of a Hultafors (Hults Bruk) axe. I'm not saying that Gransfors Bruk are junk! They certainly aren't! But their greatest strengths, they owe to this axe maker.
See; this company designed, built and perfected the axe which 'inspired' the designs of both Gransfors and Wetterlings. In fact; Hultafors of Sweden is one of, if not the oldest tool making companies still in operation, in the world!..
In short; they've been building a Hel of a nice axe, for a Hel of a long time! ^_~
So; with all that said, you'd probably expect me to have nothing but praise for this specific axe! Right..?
Well; you'd be HALF right!
The head itself is flawless. As has been every Hultafors (Hults Bruk) axe head I've ever seen. Then there's the handle... The fitting of this handle proves that sometimes even best tool makers miss the mark of perfection, on occasion...
Now; in my opinion, the handle of any headed tool should be regarded as temporary and inevitably doomed. So the fact that it isn't well fitted doesn't bother me nearly as much as it would bother most! Though; I have no doubt that an 'armchair woodsman' would return this item for either a refund or a replacement, and probably leave a negative review. I'm more of the opinion that I'm paying for an incredible axe head that just happens to come with a free handle.