Celestron NexStar 130SLT Computerized Telescope - 72x
With its pre-assembled, adjustable steel tripod, the NexStar 130 SLT can be up and ready to use in a matter of minutes. Our new SkyAlign alignment technology and the included StarPointer Finderscope with a red LED, makes aligning a breeze.
View the details of the lunar surface, the rings of Saturn, the polar ice caps on Mars, the cloud belts on Jupiter or a number of the Messier objects such as the globular cluster in Hercules (M13), or the Great Nebula in Orion (M42). Begin to explore some of the fainter Messier objects using the additional light-gathering capabilities of the 130 SLT’s 5" primary mirror. Because of the Newtonian design, the mirror gives fully color-corrected views that are best suited for astronomical use.
- Compatible with 2" eyepieces
- High quality 130 mm reflector
- Fully computerized Altazimuth mount
- StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects
- Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for quick no tool set up
- Sturdy stainless steel tripod and accessory tray included
- “TheSkyX – First Light Edition” astronomy software with a 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images
Computerized Mount Features
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- Database allows telescope to locate over 4,000 celestial objects
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use
- Auxiliary port for additional accessories such as GPS accessory
- Includes NSOL telescope control software for basic control of your telescope via computer (with optional RS-232 cable)
- Compatible with optional NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
|Optical Design||Newtonian Reflector|
|Aperture (mm)||130 mm (5.12 in)|
|Focal Length||650 mm (26 in)|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm)||25 mm (0.98 in)|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 2 (mm)||9 mm (0.35 in)|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 2|
|Mount Type||Motorized Altazimuth|
|Accessory Tray||No Tool, Quick release|
|Highest Useful Magnification|
|Lowest Useful Magnification|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||1.07 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.89 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)|
|Apparent Field of View|
|Linear Field of View (@1000 yds)||91 ft (28 m)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||1.7 in (43 mm)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter|
|Slew Speeds||Nine slew speeds: 4°/sec, 2°/sec, 1°/sec, .5°/sec, 32x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 2x|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes||Alt-Az, EQ North and EQ South|
|Alignment Procedures||SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Solar System Align|
|Computer Hand Control||Fully Computerized / Flash Upgradeable|
|GPS||Optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)|
The optics are great but the tripod isn't very stable. This is a common problem based upon many reviews I've read. I wound up sitting a bowling ball on the shelf to help stabilize it. I still get some wobble while focusing but am pleased overall. For this price range, you won't find a better go to tripod anyways.
This is my first "real" scope so I'm a rookie to this hobby. If you're like me, a rookie, do yourself a favor and start out doing simple alignments using a setting for a city close to you. Do a solar system alignment on your first time out, centering on the moon. The tracking will drift a bit until you figure out how to add a 2nd star but this will give you a chance to test drive the scope. The views of the moon with the 25mm lense are just incredible anyways!
I have young grandchildren so I also bought an iPhone holder so they can better enjoy the view through the camera. Young kids have trouble with eyepieces so this has worked out great.
Have fun with it. I am!