Benchmade SOCP Dagger Fixed Knife Sand Sheath (3.22") 176BKSN
Benchmade 176BKSN SOCP Dagger is a Greg Thompson design. He is the creator of the Special Operations Combatives Program (SOCP) and has years of training and experience to draw from. This skeletonized dagger has a finger loop that makes it easy to deploy and use in quick order. It is made from 440C stainless steel with a black finish. The 176 SOCP includes a sand colored sheath with clip and lanyard.
Handle Material:Stainless Steel
Knife Type:Fixed Blade
Country of Origin:USA
Came on time and as promised. The SOCP dagger is exactly what I was looking for, but the sheath isn't quite perfect, but fixable (see below).
- Provides an incredibly quick draw that a folder or assisted can't seem to match (at least not with my limited skills).
- Sharp point but not a cutter; do not use for any regular knife type conveniences.
- If you think you need the trainer, you probably do. Get it. It helped me a ton without risking a serious injury, which for sure would have happened.
- Sheath is a bit bigger than I would've liked. Thickness is worse than length (no way to word that better); seems like Benchmade could've made it much thinner given how thin the blade is.
- Biggest weakness is that the clip on the sheath isn't tight enough to withstand the friction/tug it gets on a fast draw. Often the sheath would come out with the knife. Not good. To fix it, I wrapped a piece of ultra fine sandpaper around the blade and put it in the sheath a few times to essentially sand down the sheath just a tad from the inside. I put it at the widest point on the bade and maybe did three in/out moves. Seemed to wear down the worst friction point inside the sheath and now the knife comes out clean, but still stays put in the sheath. PROCEED WITH CAUTION IF YOU DO THIS; if I had done it much more, it would've been too much and then it would've been too loose.
I've always loved benchmade knives, so finding a one piece blade made by them was an unresistable buy. It is a bit smaller than i thought, but still large enough to be dangerous. Fits really nice in my hand, and I have large hands. The sheath is well made, nice solid removeable clip on it (slightly loose in sheath though, you can hold it upside down and shake it loose). Blade material is a little on the light side, I would have much preferred a D2 tool steel for this price. Only real downside besides the two minor ones I have already mentioned is the edge is not sharpened all the way down length of blade, only about the first inch or so. Its'a sharp tip though, but without a complete edge this is no cutting tool, only a weapon. I'm sure a trip to a benchmade dealer and i can get the rest of it sharpened, they have excellent customer service. All in all, 4 out of 5 stars from me.
I seriously love this knife/dagger! I keep it in my purse and it's easy to draw from the sheath and it's easily hidden. It's super comfortable in your hand and can be gripped several different ways. It is what you expect from a quality company like bench made. Sturdy, very very sharp, and easily concealed.